On November 8, 1941, a ghetto was organized in the city of Lviv for the local Jewish community. 138,700 people gathered in it. At the initiative of the occupation authorities, a Jewish “self-governing” body – the Judenrat – was created in the ghetto. In the winter of 1941–1942, deportations to concentration camps began. After that, about 86,000 people remained here. In June 1942, as a result of a “lightning action” (8,000 Jews were killed in 12 hours), the ghetto was territorially “cut down.” On July 8, 1942, 7,000 Jews were taken to the Yaniv camp. In August, more than 50,000 Jews were sent to Belzec. In January 1943, the Lviv ghetto officially became a Jewish camp. Up to 20,000 Jews, including members of the disbanded Jewish council, were shot. The Germans announced that only Jews with a “work card” could be in the ghetto. During the purges of the ghetto, the Nazis resorted to burning houses, which caused many people to burn alive. The labor camp existed until June 1, 1943. More than 6,000 Jews were taken to the Yaniv camp, most were later shot in the Pisky tract, and 3,000 Jews were killed during the liquidation of the camp itself. After the expulsion of the Nazis from the city of Lviv in July 1944, there remained about 300–800 Jews who hid in various corners of the city, including in the city sewers.
Shared by the National Museum of the History of Ukraine in the Second World War
See more at https://warmuseum.kyiv.ua